Thursday, October 6, 2011

Covered Call Play with AMD

In my search to find different and new (to me) ways of making money, I came across something called a "Covered Call".  I will provide my play with AMD as an example rather than rehashing the concept of a Covered Call.  You can read/learn about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_call


Today Oct 6, 2011 I purchased 300 shares of AMD @ $4.75 with intent on writing a covered call (Scenario A).  Here are the various possible scenarios:


Scenario A - Going Long with AMD and Writing a Covered Call

  • Buy 300 shares of AMD @ 4.75
  • Sell Nov $5.00 Call Options for $.40
  • Instantly realize a profit of 300 * $.40 = $120 before fees
A couple of possible outcomes:
1. AMD hits $5.00 or higher on or before Nov 19, 2011 and the Option is executed

My shares of AMD is called away at $5.00 (aka sold at $5.00) so I realize a profit of $.25 * 300 = $75.  Add this to the Call Option that I sold for $120, my total gain is $75 + $120 = $195 before fees.  That is an approximate gain of 13.68% before fees, in a little less than two months. Not bad.

2. AMD stays under $5.00 up until Nov 19, 2011

I get to keep the 300 shares of AMD and the $120 from selling the Call.



Scenario B - Going Long with AMD
  • Buy 300 shares of AMD @ 4.75 with hopes of it appreciating; let's say to $5.00 in the various examples
  • $5.00 - $4.75 = $.25 profit per share
  • 300 * $.25 =  $75.00 before fees ~ 5.26% profit
  • Or I can hold until a higher price is achieved
Summary:
By going with a Covered Call, you can view it as buying insurance at the cost of limiting your gains.  In this example, my gains will be capped at 13.68% and I can sell AMD at $4.35 to break even (not accounting for taxes nor fees).

I plan on providing an update on or after Nov 19, 2011. Good Luck!


Update 11/21/2011:
AMD closed at $5.47 on Friday 11/18/2011 and that means the Call Options I sold were in the money.  Since the options were in the money, they were 'called' away and they sold for $5.00; just as outlined in Scenario A1.  I realized a profit of $195 before fees for a gain on 13.68% and after fees, the realized profit was $151.35 for a gain of 10.55%; not bad for holding a stock for about 6 weeks.  I'm off to a good start in the world of writing options. A nice little Christmas present for myself or for a loved one.


As an encore, I purchased on S (Sprint) on 10/13/2011 and sold Jan 2012 $3.00 options for $.42.  I'm also looking to other stocks and perhaps large cap dividend paying ones.  Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. If you trade covered calls, an access to a covered call screener is a must.
    A screener gives you the ability to detect the stocks that yield the highest premiums on option writing, either on weekly cycles or monthly ones.
    That's why you should check out "Options Creme". Currently the site is running in BETA mode and access can be given by invitation only.
    Link: http://OptionsCreme.com

    ReplyDelete